Monday, March 7, 2011

Magical Crown Tutorial

Kyra & Ava have a special friend at school who just LOVES The Princess & The Frog (TP&TF) and I thought it would be cool to make her a special birthday crown for her with that in mind.  I found a bunch of cool things in the dollar bin at Target, one of them being this TP&TF Play Pack with crayons & stuff inside.  I used the image on the front for inspiration!  =) 
I cut a strip of heavy interfacing for the band & simply sandwiched it between a strip of green fabric & sewed it together.  I wanted to have a raw edgy look, so I didn't finish the edges or do anything fancy...just some free motion zig-zag stitching along all four sides.
Then I cut out some leaf shapes with the interfacing...some big, some small.  I wanted the stitching on the leaves to really show, so I cut additional interfacing that was thick & would add more loft.  I sandwiched the leaves with my dreamy Heather Bailey green print that I love and free motion sewed each leaf individually.
After all the leaves were sewn, I cut them out & pinned them in place on the band.  
Starting with the leaves farthest from the middle, I sewed them into place working my way to the last one, front & center.
 
I attached a wide strip of elastic to each side of  the band so it will fit snug & comfortably, but you can use elastic or some other type of closure if you like.  

All done with the leaves....


but I wanted to add some hand stitching, beads and a purple feather to top it off!

This is a quick & simple project that you can definitely customize and make your own.  
Add fabric flowers, ribbon, beads...whatever you dream up.
Let me know if you have any questions about this tutorial & let me know if you make one of your own! 

Get Crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...tell me what you think! =)